[NTLUG:Discuss] multiple distros on one system

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Thu Jan 10 11:33:53 CST 2002

Lance Simmons wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:20:17PM -0600, GWH Technical Training wrote:
>
>>GRUB, which was distributed with RH 7.2, does not require that you run
>>any program in order to engage the changes.  It works a little
>>different than LILO, but basically does the same thing.
>>

>Not so. GRUB understands many different filesystems, and from the GRUB
>commandline you can locate kernels and other important files wherever
>they may be on any of your partitions. The GRUB commandline also has
>many useful commands that can help you boot up machines that are
>unfamiliar to you, or that are botched up in some way. Plus, as you say,
>you never have to worry about whether you've remembered to run it.

I think he meant... it is also a boot loader... but your points about
grub are good here.

>So far as I know, Lilo has no commandline.

Well... it has a command line in the sense that it allows for passing
certain mods to the
kernels... and can prompt for VGA settings, etc.  But it's not some
boot-prom like
interface... that is for sure.

Still sounds like a good presentation.....
Chris