[NTLUG:Discuss] Redhat 7.2 printer

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Wed Jan 16 23:35:00 CST 2002

Bobby Wrenn wrote:

> Rick Matthews wrote:
> >

> > I'm running RedHat 7.1, and I did a search for "headers" in the RPM
> > database, found the kernel-headers" RPM and listed the files. I'm seeing
> > files in:
> >
> > /usr/include/asm
> > /usr/include/linux
> >
> > That's probably not what you are looking for, is it?
> >
> > Rick
> >

> Good idea Rick. Didn't work, but it was a good idea.
>
> I used rpm to find the headers. I found a couple of possible candidates.
> and got the following response snipped below. It seems to want
> uniprocessor headers on my uniprocessor system and can only find
> multiprocessor headers. Not being a programmer I can only guess at what
> the script is looking for.
>
> <quote>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/
>
> The path "/usr/src" is an existing directory, but it does not contain at
> least
> one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected.
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include/
>
> The kernel defined by this directory of header files is multiprocessor,
> while
> your running kernel is uniprocessor.
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/include
>
> The kernel defined by this directory of header files is multiprocessor,
> while
> your running kernel is uniprocessor.

Could be a redherring... but I know in RH 7.1 their kernel was fundamentally
broken with regards to being compiled for uniprocessor only support... you
had to compile for SMP even if you don't have more than one processor.

I don't run RH at home or at work anymore and I am a much happier
person (flame away).

Also... there are some patches you'll need for the vmware stuff to compile
with kernels greater than 2.4.8... I'm talking about vmware 2.0 though.
(I don't recall what RH 7.2 ships with... but it's probably around 2.4.8-2.4.10
if I had to guess).