[NTLUG:Discuss] Service snooping

Courtney Grimland cgrimland at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 17:31:28 CST 2002

I've been having problems on my network with dhcp
clients (not) getting an address assigned to them, and
I think I might have pinpointed the cause (or maybe
I'm way off, I don't know).

An nmap scan on 172.16.0.150 (I have a 172.16.0.0/16
network that I'm working with here) shows that there
is a service running on udp port 67 (the dhcp server
port), and that it appears to be a Win2k OS.  If this
is in fact a rogue dhcp server running on my network,
that very well could explain the problems I've been
having.  I'd like to be sure that this is a dhcp
server running before I confront the potential
offender.

Is there a Linux tool that someone can recommend that
can probe this port or otherwise determine what exact
service I see running?