[NTLUG:Discuss] Default password?

kbrannen@gte.net kbrannen at gte.net
Wed Jan 23 09:11:05 CST 2002

Rick Cook wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2002 20:52, kbrannen at gte.net wrote:
>
>>I agree.
>>
>>Now let me modify the question somewhat and see if anyone knows this
>>password question.  Lets say I create a new user, set a default
>>password, but want to force the user to change the password next time
>>he logs in.  I don't want to set any expiration time range (like he
>>must change it every 30 days), I just want him to change it at his
>>next log in, be it today or next week.  On Solaris, I'd do that with
>>"passwd -f user", but I can find no equivalent for Linux.  Anyone?
>>

> Excerpt from "man passwd" (manpages version 1.47) =>
>
>        "If you wish to immediately expire an accounts password, you can
> use the -e option.  This in affect can force a user to change their
> password at their next login."

Rick,

Yes, that is what I'm looking for, but my man page (or the usage statement)
does NOT show "-e" as an option.  Mine looks like what Paul posted, and none
of those options seem to be the answer (at least it seems that way to me. :-)

I can't tell what version I have, other than an "ident" returns:

/usr/bin/passwd:
      $Package: shadow $
      $Version: 20000902 $
      $Id: passwd.c,v 1.20 2000/09/02 18:40:44 marekm Exp $

So I guess I have v1.20.  I'll go search for 1.47+; unless anyone else has
other suggestions.

Thanks!
Kevin