[NTLUG:Discuss] recommendations?

Mark Bickel eusmb at exu.ericsson.se
Tue Jan 29 11:57:57 CST 2002

> From discuss-admin at ntlug.org Tue Jan 29 09:03 CST 2002
> From: "Raymond Norton" <ray at lctn.k12.mn.us>
> To: <discuss at ntlug.org>
> Subject: Re: [NTLUG:Discuss] recommendations?
> Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:59:21 -0600
>
> I'm green, what can I say:)
>
> Maybe I will just explain what I need. I am running Linux 7.1 with Sendmail
> 8.11.x and a pop server on the same box.

One comment: Red Hat != Linux and SuSE != Linux (I can't tell which you are running.)

Please try to remember this ... Red Hat and SuSE are just two among MANY Linux distributions.
So when refering to an unmodified installation of a distribution you might say:
"I'm running Red Hat 7.1". Linux itself is identified by the kernel version, so for
a modified installation you might say: "I'm running SuSE 7.3 with kernel 2.4.17".

I used SuSE in my second example to bring up another point: Currently, Red Hat and SuSE
are using distribution version (or release) numbers that are very similar, BUT
Red Hat 7.2 != SuSE 7.2 (different kernel versions plus just about everything else).
So ... Try to be more precise when identifying your Linux configuration.

Best,
Mark Bickel