[NTLUG:Discuss] force group ownership

Paul Ingendorf pauldy at wantek.net
Fri Feb 1 22:27:00 CST 2002

The easy answer to this is that all users that aren't in the planning group are "world users".
So while you could create a single user and have many people share the username and password is this really what your looking for?
I would venture to guess you are simply looking for a way that these people may view these files without modifying them.  For this I would create a symlink in each of their home dirs called planning.

I do this like so.
I create a nice little symlink file in /etc/skel called planning like so.
# ln -s /home/planning /etc/skel/planning
I create my user pauldy with
# adduser pauldy

Now I have a user pauldy who is more than likely now just in the group of users or simply the group of pauldy(this depends on how your distro configures it by default).  In his home dir there is now a symlink to the folder /home/planning were he can read files but not modify them based off our earlier configurations.

-->> mailto:pauldy at wantek.net
-->> http://www.wantek.net/
Running ....... Cos anything else would be a waste...