[NTLUG:Discuss] mail server ... general question ...

Fred James fredjame at concentric.net
Mon Feb 25 13:25:48 CST 2002

(general question because I don't know enough specifics yet)

The question is dropping incoming mail that does not have at least one
recipient listed who's domain matches one in a list of domains.

The assumption is that the mail server software lacks any feature that
would provide this capability.

The only two approaches I have been able to think of:
(1) Server receives mail and calls a program/script to validate the
domain, waiting for a drop/pass return value.
     (a) Seems an unlikely approach without extensive modifications to
the mail server software.
(2) Filter the incoming data stream, before it reaches the mail server
software, dropping all invalid messages.

Does that sound right so far?

Actually, what we seem to be dealing with is a denial of service attack
followed by, or couple with, the remailing of spam.

Sorry I cannot be more specific just yet - that's all the details I have
so far - do they sound right, do you think?

Thanks in advance to anyone who would care to share any insight(s) on
this kind of thing.

--
...make every program a filter...