[NTLUG:Discuss] Samba and XP

Patrick Parks patrick at patrickparks.com
Tue Feb 26 15:49:11 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 10:13, Bob Byron wrote:
> > From: "Bug Hunter" <bughuntr at one.ctelcom.net>
> >  If you are using the XP "Home" version, it lacks the ability to mount

This is XP Professional. I do no have this on my machine by choice, I am
so tired of playing with Windows, if it were my choice, it would be
Linux only! :)

I get this when I run the command:

[pparks at Vaio pparks]$ smbclient -L 192.168.0.1 -U pparks -W MSHome
added interface ip=192.168.0.5 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to 192.168.0.1 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Password:
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
        SharedDocs     Disk
        print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
        Backup         Disk
        My Pictures    Disk
        ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin
        C$             Disk      Default share
        Printer        Printer   Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-3000

        Server               Comment

        Workgroup            Master

So it appears that I am able to see the shares, but can not mount them.
This has to be an XP problem, cause when I was running ME I was able to
mount the Windows share with no problem. Or it could very well be a user
(me) error :)

Patrick Parks