[NTLUG:Discuss] Hosed up my system

Greg Edwards greg at nas-inet.com
Mon Mar 25 16:13:31 CST 2002

Patrick Parks wrote:

> Thanks, on that last note on LILO, I have GRUB installed at the moment,
> and would like to go to LILO. Do I just go to the linuxconf, then enable
> LILO there and thats it, or should I do something to get rid of GRUB? I
> have not had very good time with GRUB, I can not get it to make the
> changes when I try to configure it in Linuxconf, it does not save them.
> I am stuck with default being windows and have to wait to tell it linux
> when I have to boot. Thanks
>
> On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 19:34, Jack-I-Need-a-Job-Snodgrass wrote:
> > Not sure if there is a UNIX Standard. The /etc/inittab from RedHat says
> > # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
> > #   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
> > #   1 - Single user mode

Patrick,

If your running Mandrake the Mandrake Control Center has a GUI front end
to Grub in the Boot section.  IIRC, webmin also has a Grub interface in
it.  I would highly recommend that you drop Linuxconf for some other
Admin interface.  I've heard many complaints about it and I for one
wasn't happy with it.  I gave it plenty of chances as I tried to work
with it for 2 years and several versions.

I'm allot happier with webmin.  It has plenty of short commings but
handles atleast 80% of my admin work.  For your runlevels I like a tool
called SysVinit that is really slick.

--
Greg Edwards
New Age Software, Inc.