[NTLUG:Discuss] Red Hat 7.2 or 7.3?

Wayne Dahl w.dahl4 at verizon.net
Wed May 29 22:43:12 CDT 2002

Hi again guys and gals.

Ok, I'm getting ready to upgrade this ancient Compaq of mine that has Red
Hat 5.2 currently installed and running on it.  I can upgrade to either Red
Hat 7.2 or 7.3 (I have both).  Which would you upgrade to and why?  What
are the major differences between 7.2 and 7.3?  I bought a Sams book, Red
Hat Linux 7.2 Unleashed which should help answer a lot of my questions
about learning to run Linux.  Of course, no book will answer all questions,
but hopefully it'll answer my more basic ones.  ;)

Thanks for the help you've already given me and I will thank you for your
opinions in advance about which version I should upgrade to.  To refresh
the information about the computer this is going on...

Compaq Presario CDS-982, originally a P-90, upgraded to a P-120
56 Megs Memory
2 Hard drives, one 740 Meg (the original drive) and one 1.6 Gig Western
Digital HD
1 SCSI Jaz drive, Adaptec AHA-1540CF/1542CF SCSI adapter
an old 3-Com Etherlink III 3C509B type Ethernet card.
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (Turbo) Video Adapter
US Robotics Sportster 56K modem
Iomega Ditto 3.2 Gig tape drive

This thing isn't upgradeable much any more.  I think it won't take any
memory above 128 Megs...could put bigger HD's in I guess, but not sure what
the BIOS will support (is that a factor?).  I have a newer Compaq Presario
I got for free from FreePC before they went defunct.  That's the one I have
Win98 on right now and the one I'm using Eudora on for email (I love
Eudora...wish Qualcomm would make a Linux port of it) and I may well add
another HD to it and make it dual bootable into Linux and Windoze.  But
that will come later, after I've gotten more familiar with Linux and
learning to administrate it.

Thanks again,

Wayne