[NTLUG:Discuss] Samba disk space reporting -vs- actual usage

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Mon Jun 3 11:48:48 CDT 2002

Richard Geoffrion wrote:

> Ok.  So I'm looking at disk space usage on a SAMBA share via the WIndows 98
> file-folder properties dialog box.
>
> The particular directory in question states that the files in that directory
> total 18.1 Megabytes(19,681,656 bytes) and that 77,496,320 bytes are used.
> So I am correct in determining that 18.1 Meg worth of files are taking up
> 73.9 Meg of disk space on my REISERFS partition?
>

> hmm...wait...   a 'du -a -h' shows that only 22 Meg is in use.
>

> Well, I guess this is not as big an issue as I thought.  Dang it!  Why the
> descrepancy?

Just a guess, but Windows really doesn't know what to do with symlinks.
(though I think someone added an option to Samba to disable the read
through).  So... when Windows sees a symlink... it's the same as a file
and/or directory (don't put a looping symlink, that is, one that points
back into the same heirarchy at the same or higher level, in a Samba
share and try to back it up with a Windows program!).