[NTLUG:Discuss] installing issues with lrp on Compaqs

Kevin E. Ivey ik04 at isot.com
Mon Jun 10 00:18:18 CDT 2002

Chris Cox wrote:

> You are fortunate that yours has a Matrox vid... mine has
> a 2M S3 (maybe a 1M).
>
> Machine is gross.  My 4000 233Mhz performs WORSE (benchmark
> wise) than a P166 machine.
>
> This machine is totally NON-UPGRADEABLE... it is what it
> is.  If you got any of the parts you added to work under
> any OS, count yourself fortunate.... it's a throwaway
> IMHO (and personally in the desktop arena I consider
> all Compaqs to be throwaways.... trust me, they'll stab
> you one day... it's a guarantee).
>
> If I get so motivated... I may give this a try, but I was
> just about to punt this box to J. Jentink... it is taking
> up valuable real estate that use to house a quality
> Packard Bell 486SX (OC'd to 33mhz!).

I can't believe you used the words "quality" and "Packard Bell" in the
same sentence.

> I like the Compaq DL380 G2 boxes... but Compaq on the desktop...
> NEVER!! (or should I say never again).

I too have been a lifelong Compaq hater.  Then my life became
complicated by the Compaq Deskpro Celeron thing that was imposed on me
at work...

It is completely full of commodity parts and both Windoze 98 and
Mandrake installed perfectly on it.  Then it ran for over a year with NT
and Mandrake with no problems- other than having NT installed!  It is
now a backup stand-alone box that was wiped clean and reloaded w/ win98
and Mandrake 7.2.  I still prefer it to the new Dell POS I have now.

Yeah, that machine ruined my opinion of ALL Compaqs.  Now, I only hate
all but the Deskpro sitting in my office...

Oh well,  I'll redirect my anger at the crummy Cisco 2900 switches that
crap out constantly.....

keVIn

ps.   This is my new Mozilla mail client, so if this gets sent as HTML,
I am terribly sorry and will configure or remove this beast before doing
it again.  ;>)