[NTLUG:Discuss] DualHead and XFree86

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Sat Jun 29 19:18:46 CDT 2002

Jack Snodgrass wrote:
> Thanks....
> are you 100% sure about:
>
>>Dualhead support works quite well with the GeForce - but
>>you need to have one analog monitor and one DVI monitor
>>(eg an LCD flat panel).
>

> I thought that I read that you could have two 'vga' type monitors
> with these cards. If it's really one DVI and one VGA, that's
> a show stopper for me. I want to use two existing 19"+ monitors
> that I already have.

Well, unless you've found a version of the card with two analog
connectors - no.   The standard cards have one conventional
D-type connector for VGA-style video and one 26 pin DVI connector.

It may be that one of the card manufacturers makes one with two
analog connectors instead (it would only be a matter of duplicating
the analog circuitry) - and there is certainly at least one board
that supports two DVI ports.

> Someone else pointed out that I might just want to use a single
> monitor setup and a X-Term type device for the second monitor.

You might as well run two complete PC's and just network them.

In hardware terms, there is no difference between an X-term and
a full-up PC...but if you *use* it as an X-term, you get much
slower graphics and the 'main' PC ends up doing twice as much
work.

> I am going to look at that first before I go and buy a new video
> card. I have a Ultra5 that I could use as the X-Terminal to get
> the second Linux session up and running. I think I'll play with
> that first.

Yep.

Mail : <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker at link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org