[NTLUG:Discuss] Laptop switches.

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Sun Jul 28 21:53:41 CDT 2002

Steve Baker wrote:

> I've just acquired a Fujitsu C Series LifeBook laptop - cheap - but without
> documentation.
>
> I installed SuSE 7.0 on it by booting from the DVD drive - and it all
> worked
> with remarkably little trouble. ...Except that the whole business of
> starting
> and stopping the machine seems a little 'off'.

...snip...

> Clearly there is something badly wrong here - but I'm not sure where to
> go about investigating this.
>
> Any ideas?

Just guesses.  You might experiement with APM and ACPI.  Most kernels assume
APM support... try recompiling your kernel for ACPI instead and see if
it behaves better.  The problem with ACPI is that it is still very much
in its infancy with regards to Linux (well... actually with regards to
everything!).

Surely there is a Linux laptop page for the Fujitsu Lifebook ... how about:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/fujitsu.html

HTH,
Chris