[NTLUG:Discuss] Mail, IMAP, sendmail, fetchmail

bryn konti bkontr at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 19:14:44 CDT 2002

--- Steve <steve at cyberianhamster.com> wrote:
> nf0 wrote:
> > With that said, several people have suggested
> Debian, i've never used it,
> > but thats what i'm going to go with.
>
> I use Debian on the server type machines around the
> house. So easy to
> install/uninstall packages, and more importantly,
> maintain them. I don't
> need the eye candy, and Debian doesn't take a "shove
> it all in there"
> approach to installation. So, I can have a nice
> little lean
> installation. For these reasons, as a newb, I find
> Debian's sometimes
> daunting reputation to be undeserved (other areas
> like as a desktop
> replacement, I find it quite deserved. heh.).
>
> Steve

Has anyone else ever tried Gentoo? I think it is
without doubt the most amazing linux ever put
together.
Portage is similiar to Debian's package manager, in
that it installs and removes packages well...but
that's where the similiarity ends.  Portage gets the
source code (not binaries)for packages then compiles
and optimizes them to your machine.  You even compile
the latest kernel to your specs as well. In the end,
you get the fastest, most high tech linux you have
ever used bar none. I am so impressed with Gentoo,
that I am in the process of converting all of my linux
boxes to this distribution.

http://gentoo.org/index-about.html

On the topic of mail servers, I would suggest trying
Bynari's free IMAP  mail server which is based on
Cyrus IMAP;  it is very easy to configure and features
a webadmin interface.

Cheers,

Bryn