[NTLUG:Discuss] LAN Planning

jeremyb@univista.com jeremyb at univista.com
Fri Aug 23 09:24:56 CDT 2002

I really think you'd be happier with wireless.  It's a lot easier
...obviously.
All the hardware you're looking at buying for your wiring endeavor will cost
you close to the same as buying a WAP and 2 or three 802.11b NICs.  Of
course 802.11b PC cards will be more costly then PCI but the freedom of
mobility is really nice.

A note on security:  You should definitely study up on securing a WAP and
wireless LANs.
Think of it this way   ....by going wireless you are exposing your LAN to
the wireless equivalent of a nonswitched internet that's accesable from
anywhere the signal can be picked up.  ...forget about having to access some
middleman router to sniff traffic.  The middleman is the nearest parking lot
to your house.  I hope I don't get flamed for mentioning this but this
quarters 2600 has a short informative article on wireless that should get
you started  ..and scare you a little too.

I would keep your servers wired using cat5 and just add a single 802.11b NIC
to a locked down box on the same hub.  That way you save some money and you
reduce the vulnerability of the network as a whole.  Anything that lives in
the server room/closet could stay cat5 and anything that is in site of the
wife and within reach of the baby can be wireless.
You could use ssh or another method to encrypt data between WAPs.  This will
probably take less time to configure then all that wiring.

-Jeremy Brooks