[NTLUG:Discuss] Slackware and Ximian Gnome

MadHat madhat at unspecific.com
Tue Sep 10 09:35:19 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 02:17, Patrick Parks wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 01:09, kbrannen at gte.net wrote:
>
> > Several of us have suggested that at *this point here* in the process (i.e.
> > when you are you :-), run "xhost +", then do your "su" and install script.
> > Does it die if you do this, and if so, with what error message?
> >
> > > bash-2.05a$ su
> > > Password:
> > > bash-2.05a# /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost
> > > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > > Xlib: No protocol specified
> > >
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"
> > > bash-2.05a#
> >
> > I personally would expect that to work, but I have been wrong before... :-)
> >
> > Kevin
>

> Sorry, I was trying to illustrate what was happening when I just tried
> to run xhost as root. I know it is a little confusing with the prompt
> being the same for user and root, but I have since fixed that problem.

Actually the above was what I am looking for.  Evidently Slackware is
broken, or your install is broken.  init 4 is not used by any other
distribution that I know of.  When you go through the above of doing
xhost + then su to root then xhost again, you should see a message that
says 'access control disabled, clients can connect from any host', not
an error.  If this doesn't work, you aren't going to be able to use the
installer as root.  While 'xhost +' is really bad, security wise, it
should get you where you need.

I am running out of good ideas.

--
MadHat at Unspecific.com
"Anyone who understands Linux/Unix, really understands the universe.