[NTLUG:Discuss] .DCOPserver_localhost.localdomain -> /(my home directory)/.DCOPserver_localhost.localdomain_:0

MadHat madhat at unspecific.com
Wed Sep 11 12:44:50 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 12:33, Fred James wrote:
> "shouldn't be pointing to itself"
> - should I delete it?
> - what will suffer if I delete it?
> - is it "harmless" or "benign"?
>
> "used with KDE"
> I use Gnome, so I guess we can assume it runs there too?
>
> Anyway, the link in my home directory was highlighted in red, which I
> believe means NG - is that right?
> And since the link was from 15 Aug - and this being a laptop which has
> been rebooted twice a day on every business day since then - I decided
> to live dangerously and delete it.
>
> Thank you, and thank you in advance for any additional information you
> may be able to share.

If it was red, it is because the real file it was pointing to is gone.
If you ever started KDE, it would have created the file.  If KDE did not
exit properly, it could leave the file (link) behind.  If you are not
running KDE, you can delete it fine.  Even if you are running KDE, if it
is red (meaning not pointing to a real file) deleting it won't hurt.

As far as I know, gnome use corba, or something similar, DCOP is
specific to KDE.

--
MadHat at Unspecific.com
"Anyone who understands Linux/Unix, really understands the universe.