[NTLUG:Discuss] DNS not working

Michael Patrick michael at techiesplace.com
Tue Oct 29 14:58:37 CST 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 03:47:22PM -0500, chris at chrisbaker.net wrote:
> For some reason, my DNS isn't working. I can an IP address just
> fine. But if try to ping its hostname, it doesn't work.
>
> I have a RedHat 7.3 box. I have been able to work around this. I
> have logged into FTP sites, for example, by using the IP address.
> But name resolution isn't working at all.
>
> This isn't critical, but what do I need to do to fix this?
>
> Chris

Hi Chris... this is usually governed by the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf file.

For comparison, mine:

[michael at redoctober michael]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search techiesplace.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

Now, as a disclaimer, I actually run a DNS server on my box so I can get away with the 127.0.0.1 stunt.  Normally you would have one or more nameserver lines with the IPs for your ISPs nameservers.

One public one I know you can use to start with is 64.247.218.140 which is run by a friend of mine and is an OpenNIC server.  If you do a lot with .biz domains though, you'll want to find your ISPs ICANN based servers soon though.

Michael