[NTLUG:Discuss] RedHat 8.0 UTF-8 compatibility revisited ...

David Simmons dsimmons at powersmiths.com
Thu Dec 26 09:59:46 CST 2002

Here's an idea from another LUG...solved some issues with international
characters...thought it might be of help here...

dave

After following Bruce's comments, I found out that a simple change of
"/etc/sysconfig/i18n":

From:
   LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
   SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
   SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

To:
   LANG="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
   SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
   SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

Fixes all my issues with several binary-only programs (like Acrobat
Reader).  Each variable is just a colon (:) separated set of values, and
one only needs to add "en_US:en" to the "LANG" variable.

Maybe RedHat _should_ be doing this by default in 8.x???