[NTLUG:Discuss] Linux box crash...revisited...ACHH

terry linux at cowtown.net
Fri Dec 27 00:22:56 CST 2002

> "(Repair filesystem) 1 # fsck -t ext3 (and I think this is where I'm
> going wrong) /dev/hda5"

Try:

fsck -y /dev/hda

> Ok...this may make a little more sense with that other error message
> in there. When I look at /etc/fstab as Ryan suggested, here's the line
> for /usr...
>
> LABEL=/usr /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
>
> Does this look right? It seems to match most of the other entries for
> the other partitions.

No, it does not look right. (I don't know what LABEL=/usr referrs to)
The mount point is there but no device or partition is listed..

It should look something like:
/dev/hda5 /usr ext3 defaults 0 2

That is, porviding hda5 is where /usr really is, it could be hda4, hda6
or hda7 etc.

If you don't know where it is use a boot disk with some utilities like
fdisk and mount and see where everything really is. tomsrbt on floppy or
the Linuxcare Bootable CD come in handy for these occasions.
Try:
fdisk -l
to see what partitions you have

and then mount them and see what's there.

mount /dev/hda6 /mnt
ls /mnt
etc.