[NTLUG:Discuss] How do you secure a LAN?

Bug Hunter bughuntr at one.ctelcom.net
Mon Dec 30 18:42:35 CST 2002

  Yes, that is true.  You still have to go to the trouble of setting up
each machine.  There are three advantages that I see:

  1) IP address documentation in one place
  2) Forces the user to come to you before the machine is authorized to
connect to the network.
  3) You can shut down a machine remotely, if the Lease time on the
address is short.

  The requestor's comment was he wanted to approve each machine before it
got an ip address.  I assume this is to cut down on rogue machines.

  Note that you would have to create 255 entries that assign ip's to a
real machine's nic card to keep an enterprising person from setting up a
static ip without telling you.  You want the response to "unassigned" ip
addresses to be "IP address is already in use" when the user tries to get
out on the network with a rogue machine.

  Big, big headache for the most part.

bug