[NTLUG:Discuss] CPU History

Greg Edwards greg at nas-inet.com
Wed Jan 8 23:39:30 CST 2003

Fred James wrote:
> Questions:
> (1) Is there any significant difference, from either a user's, or an
> administrator's, perspective in Linux on AMD chips compared to Intel chips?
> (2) I usually run RH - any comments on this for AMD?
> (3) Any one distribution that stands out on AMD?
> Thanks in advance.

All my machines are AMD.  I use to run a couple Cyrix 6x86 boxes but
when my FIC PA2007 MBs toasted I switched them to AMD K6/2.  My fastest
box at the moment is an Athlon 650 on an ASUS K7V.  I'm about to upgrade
one of my 650s to an Athlon 2100+ XP Thoroughbred on an ASUS A7N8X MB
for a workstation.  The 650 and MB are going into another case to be
converted to an application server.  I've been a fan of the VIA Chipset
for quite awhile but as I've heard it the nForce2 is the current killer
for the AMD CPUs.

I run Mandrake since it's compiled for Pentium class out of the box
while RH (and most other distributions) are compiled for 386 class machines.

--
Greg Edwards