[NTLUG:Discuss] Spam question

Bug Hunter bughuntr at one.ctelcom.net
Wed Jan 22 09:29:37 CST 2003

  Well, you asked.  :) (see my sig)

  There are various RBL (Real Time Block Lists (or Real Time Blacklist)
out there.  By using a combination of RBL and filters, you can get your
spam from 60 a day (in my case) to about 1 a day in your main mailbox.

  I started an RBL (with some others)  and have had it
running for over a year. To get an idea of how effective an RBL can be, go
to http://graphs.maildeflector.org

  I think you'll be surprised when you see the graphs.  over 8 million
email delivery rejects (for spam reasons) for about 11 million email
delivery attempts.  Spam is now  running at 77% of all email delivery
attempts for the people I'm getting statistics from.

  The database is populated by emails sent to spam bait addresses.  Out of
about 45,000 entries, over 13,000 of those entries are matched against
delivery attempts every month.  That is a good indicator of how the
system is working.  (with 1/3 of the database actively being used) Other
RBL lists may be willing to give you that information also.

  The whole system runs under Linux (OF COURSE!).  I took the
standard named and  added a database query system to it, and run it
against MySQL.  Our system load  is rather light, even so.  We are running
about 5-10 queries a second right now, and everything holds in there
rather well, on only 500mhz machines!

thanks,
bug

--