[NTLUG:Discuss] Computer (FYI)

Mike just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 01:50:12 CST 2003

> Hope that helps.  I have always been a fan of Cyrix/Via
> and this system easily fits in with the non-Intel,
> non-Windoze systems I have in my house.  Not at all
> junk...
Not that it matters much, but the VIA CIII is not really a
descendant of cyrix technology, but of the winchip. VIA
bought the ''right'' to manufacture x86 CPU's when they
acquired the Cyrix name from National, but dumped just
about all the technology. It pretty much stopped the
ongoing Intel lawsuit against them.

National Semiconductor's Geode platform is the only true
'cyrix' descendant left. Since it is imbedded technology,
its not very interesting for gadgeteers (mostly drives DVD
players and set top boxes.)