[NTLUG:Discuss] Firewall Forwarding Question

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 21:45:06 CST 2003

--- Kenneth Loafman <ken at lt.com> wrote:
> jose sanchez wrote:
> > I hope this can help:
> >
> > iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -i $INCOMING_NIC -o
> > $OUTGOING_NIC -d $LOG_SERVER --dport 514 -j ACCEPT
> >
> > Is almost the samething you have. Let me know if
> it
> > worked.
>

> Nope.  Dumb question -- how does it get into the
> forward chain?  Do I
> need to accept it in INPUT?

No. You only need to accept it in INPUT when is
destined for the actual router/firewall. How about:

iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -i $INCOMING_NIC -o
$OUTGOING_NIC -d $LOG_SERVER --dport 514
-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Also allow FORWARD backwards...

Hope this helps. Let me know if it worked, by the way
this is not a dumb question, I just wanted to know if
I was of any help.