[NTLUG:Discuss] When do you save with rackmounts?

kbrannen@gte.net kbrannen at gte.net
Thu Mar 6 02:19:54 CST 2003

Terry Hancock wrote:
> Hi,
> Following the "2U" system thread, it's obvious that some of you use rackmount
> systems.  I'm wondering what the tradeoffs are.
>
> Obviously rackmount systems tend to be expensive for the same level of
> system, and they save space.  But unless you really are in a business where
> the physical computer cases actually take up a large fraction of your floor
> space, it's hard to believe that this alone is worth the extra cost.

IMO, space is the #1 reason to do it; you can put more computing power per
*cubic* foot that way.  And yes, a business is about the only "entity" to have
the need.

Another reason might be uniformity of machine, but kinda takes you back to space.

Racks can also help you to be very tidy in your wiring, though I've seen some
pictures where people didn't bother. :-)

I've also seen a person do it for noise issues.  They got an enclosed rack
cabinet (on the cheap somewhere) and by putting their machine(s) in it, with
some sound insulation foam, and claimed to make their home office much quieter.

And you shouldn't discount the "coolness" factor.  Sorta labels you as
"uber-geek" to have one of those in your house. ;-)

Generally speaking, rack mounted machines tend to be headless, or at least
connected to bigger KVM switches so you only have 1 keyboard/mouse/moniter for
the entire rack (or even 3 or 4 racks).

HTH,
Kevin