[NTLUG:Discuss] High Speed service(s)

Douglas King daking at dak1.net
Mon Mar 10 07:10:08 CST 2003

Hey all....

It's been interesting to read about the problems, etc. across the D/FW
Metroplex with service providers.  I do have several notes that I might
would like to insert though.

AT&T CAN be set up WITHOUT that screwy CD, I have done so personally.  You
have to configure the web browser to hit there "proxy" server in order to
register. I finally got a tech guy that actually had a brain one day, and
he gave me all the setup info required to register the MODEM on the AT&T
network.  That's all they do.  Oh, one more thing, YES, the DO change the
IP addresses...so far, I have seen random changing.  I do not use their
network now, because their bandwidth was WORSE than my DSL lines.  I tested
the lines side by side....and AT&T was far worse than DSL.  BEWARE.  IF you
want me to post the info on setup without that CD, let me know.

I also used to have DSL service through another private company here in the
Dallas area (I can't remember the name).  Though I am not personally fond
of the RedBack routers they used, the service was OK, until Waymark bought
them out.  When they did that...it really went down hill.  They (Waymark)
DO scan for servers...and unfortunately, I DO run servers, including DNS,
and I do have a little more traffic than some might imagine.  Also, when
WorldComm bit the big one, it took Waymark out for TEN DAYS....'cause their
backup line was a WorldComm line also.  Fortunately, I had recently
installed a Verizon line right beside the other DSL line....so I just did a
conversion.  I was down a couple of days for the transition, but since I
have completely switched to the Verizon line, I really have not had near
the outages that I had with the other service provider.

So...this ought to give you a little more knowledge about high speed
service in the metroplex.