[NTLUG:Discuss] FYI: linux Thin-Client

Jack Snodgrass jack+ntlug at mylinuxguy.net
Wed Mar 19 19:50:33 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:04:43 -0600, Fred James wrote:

> That seems pretty clear, except on point - once the thin-client has what
> it needs for the RAM disk, does it need the PXES server any more (until
> the next time)?  In other words, I am assuming that once the thin-client
> is totally up and running, it is independent of the PXES server and only
> needs to connect to the application server(s) (Linux or terminal
> services) - is that correct?  From that I might assume that if all the
> PXES files were packed on a CD along with the boot stuff, a thin-client
> might not need a remote PXES server at all - is that correct?

hum... don't know. the PXES boot stuff is set up to tftp stuff from
a remote server. Don't recall anything that would have it all run off
of a cdrom. I'll have to check that.

What's your opisistion ( sp? ) with files on a remote server?
If you have 100 clients... if something changes ( new terminal
services setup or new something.... ) you'll have to update
your 100 Cds and pass them out the the clients. If you use the
central-server approach, you make the change on the server and
everyone see it right away.

jack