[NTLUG:Discuss] X over ssh -vs- vnc

Eric Schnoebelen eric at cirr.com
Tue Mar 25 17:10:30 CST 2003

"Jack Snodgrass" writes:
- Do you guys find X over ssh comparable to VNC?

	They're doing two entirely different things.  VNC is
(basically) screen scraping a virtual display, and sending the
delta's for the entire display across the wire.

	X over SSH is forwarding the X protocol over the SSH
tunnel (it's basically port forwarding.)  It depends upon the
local (to you) display server to render the requests.

	In my experience, as long as you're not trying to send
large bitmapped images over the X session, X over SSH is quite
snappy.

	I use X on SSH daily to start xterms on systems all
across the country, and seldom see any performance issues.

	(hell, I used to run xterm's over a 9.6kbps link 10
years ago..)

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	I love deadlines.  I like the whooshing sound they make as they