[NTLUG:Discuss] XFree86

MadHat madhat at unspecific.com
Mon Apr 14 12:05:14 CDT 2003

Is there a way to restart X, more specifically reload the config,
without logging out and back in.  In other words, if I am using an XDM
to log in, usually if X dies (or I hit Ctrl-Alt-Bcksp, do a 'kill -1' or
in anyway make X hickup), it goes back to the login screen.  If I want
to just have X stop and restart, but not log me out, is there a way to
do that?  I want to be able to change which Config I am using without
logging out, restarting X and logginf back in.

I have read this is in the works for XFree86 5.0.  Dynamically change
color depth, resolution and rotation on the fly.

--
MadHat at Unspecific.com
`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.