[NTLUG:Discuss] Checking Linux Performance without login.

Stephen Klein jaguar at imagin.net
Thu Apr 24 09:05:03 CDT 2003

Does anyone know of a good text console performance monitor program that
gives a good idea of what is going on with the server.  Top is OK, but
it doesn't touch much on free space on various partitions, nor does it
check NIC performance stats.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I am looking for something
similar to GKrellM for the console.  I've tried ATop, but I don't really
like it's output, and I couldn't get slmon to compile (yet).  I've found
a few on Freshmeat, but most aren't quite what I'd want.

One thing I would like, if I could tell it to output its data to an
unsused TTY (ie. select it by typing Alt-F9), and not accept input from
the keyboard thereby protecting it from unauthorized users.

I guess this would be similar to the Netware monitor.nlm, something I've
missed for Linux servers.

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks,
Stephen