[NTLUG:Discuss] OT: Fry's

David david at hayes-family.org
Fri May 2 09:15:04 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 03:51:57PM -0500, Joel Sinor wrote:
> cdr is being emulated.  I also have not found the proper instructions
> for using the loopback filesystem to mount an iso image so it can be
> modified on the fly, but this is something else you can do on Linux (and
> actually something similar can be done on MacOS using included
> tools, diskcopy IIRC) and not in Windows, and definitely something I
> will be working on.

To mount an ISO image on hard disk so that it can be read, try this:

   # mount -r -o loop /path/to/iso/image.iso /mount/point

"/mount/point" can be any empty directory.  I create "/mnt/tmp" and
keep it handy for just this purpose.

You cannot modify an ISO image on the fly.  The Linux kernel knows how
to read ISOs, not how to create them.  For that, you use the
command-line utility "mkisofs".  This utility is also what's used
under the covers when you use one of the GUI tools.

The ISO file structure was never designed to be modified, but there is
an alternative:  UDF.  This is the file system used for DVD disks.
Newer Linux kernels have a UDF driver, but I have not worked with it.

--
David Hayes
david at hayes-family.org