[NTLUG:Discuss] RH 8.0 Crontab problem fixed by full system reinstall!

jay linux jaylinux at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 18:06:43 CDT 2003

Thanks to all who gave me great help on solving this. I learned quite a bit.

I had a different problem that I could not correct (reboot failing) so I
reinstalled from
scratch. First thing I did when I got back up was to test crontab - it
worked. I suspect I
screwed it up somehow but since I haven't logged in as root much I find it
strange. Particularly
since the root crontab was failing too.....

The reason i rebuilt was because I did the following while playing around
and could not
get a reboot to work afterwords. I suspect few people bounce around between
init levels
like this in real life. I wanted to see what functions became available at
various levels so
it was a good exercise for me. But I think I uncoverd a bug.

> >From my user shell su
>shutdown now
>successfully went to single user mode
>init 1 - this worked
>init 2 - this worked
>init 7 - When I did this I got a GUI and log in prompt. I logged in but the
>screen went blue and
>never came back. Must be a bug in the init program, etc

Can anyone tell me the best channels to report a bug like this? I won't be
verifying it's repeatable for a few days because I want to get some work
done before blowing my system away again!!

Thanks, Jay