[NTLUG:Discuss] [ms.g@noitacude.com: [sb1116] ALERT: Texas "super DMCA" movingthrough the legislature]

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Thu May 22 22:58:11 CDT 2003

I am not a lawyer but this is my interpretation.

If your internet service provider offers basic service for X dollars and
will sell additional home hookups for an additional $5 per computer, then
the Linksys firewall router could be considered a theft of services because
you could hook up more than one computer behind the firewall to get to the
internet.

I just found it on ATT broadband web site: Home Networking Services
"In order for multiple computers to access the Internet simultaneously on
your home network, you will need to purchase IP addresses (Internet
Protocal Addresses) for each additional computer you are adding to your
home network.

These addresses are necessary in order for you to expand your high-speed
cable internet service on more than one computer.

Please contact your local AT&T Broadband Internet Customer Care center or
ISP for IP address pricing in your area."

So if you have multiple computers in your home network and have not
purchased the "IP Addresses" for the additional computers, then it would be
considered a theft of service.

Kip