[NTLUG:Discuss] SendMail issue

Paul Drew solarcurve at msn.com
Tue Jun 10 13:10:46 CDT 2003

Ok guys,
I think we may be in the clear here now. I would like to thank each of you
for your time, and experience. I think we are fixed, but time will tell of
course. :)

I checked permissions on / with the ls -ld and it was indeed world writable,
and I checked most of our other servers to find that some were this way, and
some were not. I am going to get them buttoned down shortly.

Once I did that I ran the newaliases command again, and I got no errors this
time. I got the following feedback which looks good to me:
/etc/aliases: 30 aliases, longest 22 bytes, 475 bytes total

There are no errors messages or anything else so that makes me think things
should be good. There is tons of verbosity in the SYSLOG about whats its
doing, but no error messages. I am going to be checking into those soon
enough when I get more time. I think I read earlier that I don't need to
cycle sendmail if all I did was new aliases. Let me know if I am wrong
please. Anyways, thanks again for all your help. Have a great day, and take
care.

Paul Drew