[NTLUG:Discuss] How does 'ip address spoofing work'?

Jack Snodgrass jack+ntlug at mylinuxguy.net
Sat Jul 5 16:49:46 CDT 2003

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:26:11 -0500, asene wrote:

> I was thinking the same thing myself--
>
> ISS Warns Of Coordinated Hacker Attack On July 6
>
> Internet Security Systems Inc. is warning that an international
> hacking contest could cause headaches for companies worldwide and
> disrupt the Internet.
>
> http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,82730,00.html?nlid=PM
>
> Also, there seems to be a security problem with
> many versions of mysql.  As far as I know there
> has never been a CERT advisory in that regard,
> but one of our customers gave me this URL:
>
> http://icat.nist.gov/icat.cfm?cvename=CAN-2002-1373
>
> Could be our hacker friends are testing the waters.
>
> Annette

thanks for the info. I don't think that it's the hacker weekend stuff.
These addresses have done this in the past. I've got scripts that run
to block these, but I don't have them run automatically... Now that I
know that they are coming from open proxy severs, I may go ahead and
run the scripts automatically.

As far as the mySQL stuff... the users don't know that we're using mySQL.
thy just enter the userid/password on the apache web login popup and we
use .htacccess to authenticate against mySQL. As far as the user knows,
it's just htpasswd stuff.

jack