[NTLUG:Discuss] Linux printer set up?

Harry Burford list2 at burford.org
Tue Jul 29 22:02:12 CDT 2003

I have a Laserjet 5si on an ethernet network.  I'm able to set up this
printer for Linux (RH) OK by using it's IP address and port 9100.   I
then use Samba to share this device with Windows clients on the
network.  Everything was easy to set up and works well.

I also have a Xerox high speed printer on the network that is
controlled by a Sun workstation.  I know it's IP address, but have not
been able to get anything to work.  I'm confident the printer is all
set up and working OK.  I know that this printer was driven by a Linux
server in the past.  I just can't figure out what is so unique about it
that I can't talk to it with my Linux system.

I'm relatively new to Linux so I'm sure it is something simple.
Anyone have some tips?