[NTLUG:Discuss] Something to ponder (bad Linux enterprise experience article)

Greg Edwards greg at nas-inet.com
Wed Aug 13 20:39:42 CDT 2003

Chris Cox wrote:

> I would like to believe that they are a "minority" as well.  However,
> I will say they are a VERY vocal minority regardless.  All you have
> to do is read message lists and newsgroups to see a whole lot of
> RTFM (and worse) thrown at the newbies.  With that said, the fact that
> you have to "RTFM" addresses some of the authors concerns over the
> complexity of implementation (very large learning curve) in Linux.
>
> Quite frankly, I do indeed write a LOT of glueware scripts (easy for me,
> difficult for beginners).  Most system tools aren't configurable
> in a unified administration utility... and if you think about something
> like webmin... there a plethora of variables to consider even then
> that the average user is likely to NOT understand.

Unfortunately I have to agree on his take (and Chris) on the zealots
volume.  To those it's not about whether or not Linux a quality solution
and valid alternative to high dollar UNIX solutions.  In many ways these
people are no better than Mr. Bill.  The main difference does happen to
be the engineering quality in the end product.

On the technical issues the guy raises, I've got 3 simple questions.

How long does it take a system admin to learn (from scratch) how to
setup a 10 node MS Network?

How many times in a 30 day period is at least one segment of an MS
Network out of service for more than 15 seconds?

How many Linux/UNIX networks needed a security patch in the last week?

Now ask the same questions about Linux.  You might have to flip a coin
on the first question.  Sys admin is just not that simple for any OS.
The others are obvious.

I just don't think we need to shout to make a point.

--
Greg Edwards
New Age Software, Inc. - http://www.nas-inet.com