[NTLUG:Discuss] Trailing backslashes

Jack Snodgrass jack+nntp at mylinuxguy.net
Wed Sep 3 10:11:43 CDT 2003

is this thread still going? It's like the energizer bunny. The default
behavior is
supposed to work... if it's not, it may be something else configured
wrong.
You don't need alias or rewrite or anything... it just does it
automatically.

You can ( if you have server-info enabled ) do
http://127.0.0.0/server-info
and see what modules apache loads. It should have mod_dir in there. You
have to
do special things to NOT get that loaded.

You said that you are redirected to a google page or something when this
breaks. This is a web client thingie... turn of 'smart searching' or
whatever
your client calls so that it will not redirect you to google but show
you what it
really is trying to do. That might help figure this problem out.

the config things that effect this behavior ( adding a / to a directory
) are
Servername
and
UseCanonicalName

if your machine isn't smart enought to know who it is ( or had multiple
names
and addresses etc ) you need to set ServerName to be your machine name.
This will be returned as part of the response when it adds the trailing
response.

You also need to set UseCanonicalName On to aid in this.

What are you
Servername
UseCanonicalName
variables set to in the httpd.conf file?

jack

jack