[NTLUG:Discuss] Whats the most Vanilla Linux Distro...if there is such a thing

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Fri Sep 12 10:36:13 CDT 2003

NTLUG wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on a linux distro that isn't "tainted" by
> the people making it.
>
> When I say tainted...with RedHat, they tinker with everything so in many
> cases if you get something on the internet, you are going to run into
> some problems installing it.  I would like to find a distro that doesn't
> have that kinda of problem.
>
> Thanks...

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

It's fun... you'll learn a lot.. but it can be frustrating
if you're looking to put something together that "just works".
You'd be surprised at how the seemingly small bits of
glue and admin utilities really help make the commercial
dists more "friendly"... even ones that at first you
think aren't too friendly... try building a dist on
your own and you'll learn A WHOLE LOT (I think it's fun,
but others may not have the patience).