[NTLUG:Discuss] tar --exclude doesn't

Courtney Grimland cgrimland at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 16:05:53 CDT 2003

>  From the man page:
>
>   --exclude=FILE
>         exclude file FILE
>
> Please note, a single file, no globbing promised.
>
> [globbing, a.k.a wildcard expansion; in general unix utils don't do
> this
> themselves, the shell does it for you and passes the now multiple
> args to the
> program (or the wildcarded string if there is no expansion
> possible)]

[root at mercury ~]# tar --help | grep exclude
    --exclude=PATTERN      exclude files, given as a globbing PATTERN
-X, --exclude-from=FILE    exclude globbing patterns listed in FILE

Quoting the PATTERN with single quotes should tell the shell not to
do it's own expansion, but I still get the same results no matter how
I quote it.  I agree that your approaches both should work, given
what I've found that works and what doesn't.  I was more concerned
with whether or not I was misinterpreting something, or if tar was
simply not doing what it says it will do.