[NTLUG:Discuss] OT - geegaw

fredjame fredjame at concentric.net
Mon Nov 17 11:17:23 CST 2003

[My apologies to the list administrator, et al. - I sent this message
earlier, but from the wrong email address.]

Attachments are frowned upon, and quite rightly so, I have not have not
included one herein, but I would be happy to send it (off list) to
anyone who would like to play with it, and I would be happy for any feed
back.  Remember the old (80's) DOS days and BASIC where you could make
your computer play little songs?  Well this is a beginning attempt in
BASH.  Two things make this possible on my machine: (a) "xset" and (b)
the fact that this implementation of "sleep" will accept arbitrary
floating point numbers.  If your Linux machine is OK with both of these,
and you would like it have a look, or even if you just want to have a
look, contact me off list, and I'll send you a copy.

The file "bellbeep.tar.zip" is 739 bytes, unzips to a 10 MB tar file
containing 5 text files:
bellbeep
between
duration
notes
tune
Put them all in the same directory and execute with "sh bellbeep".  The
screen display is just debugging messages, and the audio output is just
a series of manipulated beeps - 24 in total - and play time is just
pretty short.

--
...your have to be the change...