[NTLUG:Discuss] DVD Authoring question

Jack Snodgrass jack at jacksnodgrass.com
Wed Nov 26 08:29:10 CST 2003

   Has anyone sucessfully authored / burned a DVD that plays in a
real DVD Player with linux?  ( I have done with this win2000... but
I'm trying to dump ALL windows stuff ) If so... how....
I've gotten a DVD authored and burned, but it won't play in a DVD
player. The video file ( off of the DVD ) will play, but it won't
automatically start and pick the video and start playing.

   continue reading for the gory details...

   I have made a DVD .mpg file and burned it to a DVD+R. It has the
( correct as far as I can tell ) DVD format:

VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP
VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB

I can use ogle or mplayer to play VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB.

I used dvdauthor with this .xml file:
<dvdauthor>
    <vmgm />
    <titleset>
        <titles>
            <pgc>
                <vob file="movie.mpg" />
            </pgc>
        </titles>
    </titleset>
</dvdauthor>

and this is 'supposed' to start playing the video file as soon
as the DVD is loaded.

If I load the DVD, it doesn't start playing. OGLE gives me an error
and my DVD player just ejects the DVD.

any help would be appreciated.

jack