[NTLUG:Discuss] City of Austin moving 80% of desktops to Open Office

Rev. wRy slot0k at pogox.org
Wed Dec 17 12:51:52 CST 2003

Lance Simmons wrote:

> Woah.  I meant the question in a simpleminded way:  Since the story
> mentioned the Austin LUG, I figured the story had something to do with
> Linux, but I couldn't see what.
>
> So I thought I'd ask.
>
> Sorry for the terse way I put the question.

Sorry for my terse response - I would have thought it was readily apparent:

For those of us using *nix it means that we *should* be able to open
just about anything the City of Austin sends to us correspondence wise
(without having to track down the latest and greatest from M$) in the
very near future.  It may lead to greater acceptance of open source on a
state level or even that holy of holiest grails - the use of open
standards in our govt. IT shops, so it won't matter what OS we use.

I can see where it's not completely on topic, but it may be a precursor
to some very good news for Linux users all over the state, hence my
original post.

:)

Rev. wRy