[NTLUG:Discuss] What makes Linux great?

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Sat Dec 20 15:03:08 CST 2003

Michael:

Here is a quick list of why I use Linux for servers:
1. Stability (System crashes are rare)
2. Consistency of performance
3. Isolation of programs from each other (A crashed program
	does not take down the OS, no stupid registry problems
	with one program trashing another's data, etc.)
4. Access control - Programs do not have access to the entire
	machine, only to those areas granted to them.
5. True multi-user capabilities.
6. Full suite of network programs bundled with the OS (ssh clients
	and servers, FTP clients and servers, DHCP, DNS, etc.)
7. No stupid licensing hassles.
8. Strong user support thru mailing lists and user groups.

I don't use Linux because it is free.  I use it because I cannot
buy a better product for my needs.  The fact that it is free
is a bonus.

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, JAMM Consulting, (972)612-6056, www.JAMMConsulting.com
FREE! Valuable info on how your business can reduce operating costs by