[NTLUG:Discuss] What makes Linux great?

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Sat Dec 20 16:43:32 CST 2003

Steve:

I hoped this discussion was not going to degrade into
a flame war, but I am afraid that we are going down
that path.

I agree that Microsoft has been able to generate a monopoly
for itself.  I also firmly believe that it has done so using
unscrupulous (and illegal) business practices.

These issues are not what the guy from Microsoft was asking
about. He is a technical manager, not a marketing person.  He
did not make the decisions that lead to those practices you
are against.  He even made sure to clear his inquiry with
the managers of the NTLUG list.  He is being sensitive to us.

I really think we should keep this strictly to a technical
discussion in order to keep things calm and rational.

I am not afraid of having a technical discussion with someone
from Redmond because I believe that Microsoft will never be
able to offer a product that will appeal to Linux users.
This is due to the fact that the products exist for
completely different reasons.

Microsoft's OS (like any for-profit product) exists to make
financial return.  Linux exists to fill a need.  This means
that Linux is more focused on what people are using it for
without gettting sidetracked on revenue-generating aims.

This is just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, JAMM Consulting, (972)612-6056, www.JAMMConsulting.com
FREE! Valuable info on how your business can reduce operating costs by