[NTLUG:Discuss] @#$%^&*! redhat up2date!!!!!

fredjame fredjame at concentric.net
Fri Jan 9 12:18:47 CST 2004

Chris Cox wrote:

> I've been listening to this thread...
>
> One thing that's important to remember is that
> GPL (and some other free-like licenses) allow
> Red Hat (or anyone else) to do exactly what
> they are doing.  That's sort of the whole point
> of GPL.

> (much ommited for briefity)

> So whatever Fedora is or isn't, it's clear that
> Red Hat owns it and that it is designed to make
> Red Hat THE dominant player in the Linux
> marketplace (a claim that Red Hat has made btw
> since the very beginning of RHAT and still
> says... over and over... even today).
>
> It's interesting.... let's see what all happens...
>
> Maybe we'll all be using Red Hat/Fedora someday....

I have reluctantly snipped out a great deal of Chis Cox's informed,
reasoned, insightful, and informative discussion, and I do encourage all
to go back to the original and read it carefully.

Corporate hegemony is in the end just that - if the maker of your
favorite brand of toilet tissue decided to start embedding sharp bits of
steel wool in the product after first warning you (advertising) that
they were going to do it, would you not find a new favorite brand of
toilet paper?  I apologize if anything is this analogy offends, but I
have been intentionally blunt with the hope of getting the point across
as quickly as possible.  Hope this helps.

--
...we are fellow passengers...