[NTLUG:Discuss] Setting up virtual website on RH 8.0

Brian Rafferty strings999 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 15:03:58 CST 2004

I used to have a nice perl/cgi virtual website setup
on my old RedHat 5 or 6 machine.  I have built a new
machine and installed RedHat 8.0.  The world has
changed a bit.

Insttead of targeting home/httpd it now looks at
/var/www/html
That's fine with me.

The new software I am trying to setup is PHP based.
That is new to me, as is MySQL.  I have worked with
lots of other databases and much is the same.
It comes from http://www.oscommerce.com
Their documentation is at http://www.osdox.com
It is, unfortunately, not a step by step kind of
set of instructions.

My main problem probably is that I do not like the
idea of setting up my test catalog on a production
site.
I want to get it running on my PC and then move it to
the web.

When I tried browsing the PHP pages of the catalog
software on my PC, the PHP was not processed.  I saw
all the source, untranslated, on the screen.

PHP 4.2.2 is active on my PC, as is Apache webserver.
Even though there is a php.conf file in the
/etc/httpd/conf.d directory, I tried adding the
LoadModule lines to httpd.conf as recommended at
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.processing
I was not sure whether or where the AddModule lines
should go in the httpd.comf file, but I tried putting
them after the LoadModule lines.

Now if I try to browse localhost, Apache can not find
the default html homepage anymore.  This does not
sound like progress.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Printed On 100 Percent Recycled Electrons
Contents may settle during shipment