[NTLUG:Discuss] SBC Yahoo Management

Ralph Green, Jr severian at mail.joimail.com
Sun Feb 1 12:33:00 CST 2004

Howdy,
  My next door neighbor just go SBC/Yahoo DSL.  She is a Windows 200
user and she has connected the DSL modem directly to the ethernet card
on her computer.  She has to run a management console program to connect
to the internet.  Does anyone here have experience with this software?
It is working fine for her, but I want to set up a router/firewall that
will sit between her machine and the net.  If this software is just a
PPPOE(I think that is the name) login, then a IPCOP machine or an
inexpensive router from Frys should handle it.  My interest is two
fold.  I want to help her keep her machine safe.  But, if we setup a
router, I could take my Linux laptop over and connect up easily while
I'm visiting.
Thanks,
Ralph